General school FAQs
Do the fees include lunch?
- Yes, our fees include lunch plus a morning snack and milk is provided for Foundation and Key Stage 1 children.
What time does the school open and what time is home time?
- From Reception to Year 6, we offer a breakfast club from 7.30am – 8.00am at a charge of £2.50. There is supervised care from 8.00am and we ask for all children to arrive by 8.30am ready for registration. At the Lower Elms the school day finishes at 3.25pm and the Upper Elms finish at 3.40pm. Children can be collected up to 4.00pm with no additional charge. The Nursery and Pre-School is open from 7.30am to 6.30pm.
Is after school care available?
- After school care is available for parents who require their child to be supervised after the end of the normal timetabled school day. After school care is available from 4.00pm – 6.00pm. An additional cost is applicable for this service.
Can children bring snacks?
- Snacks are provided for Foundation stage and Key Stage 1. We ask for Key Stage 2 children to bring their own healthy snack for morning break.
Can you provide Learning Support if required?
- Yes we have a specialist Learning Support team at The Elms, individual needs of the child can be discussed during the admissions process.
What sports do you play?
- At the Elms, children participate in all the major sports both indoors and outdoors (please see Outside the Classroom for further details)
Do we have to pay the fees all in one go?
- No, fees can be paid annually, termly or monthly by direct debit
Do you follow the National Curriculum?
- We use this as a guide but have the flexibility to expand on this to further benefit pupils. Our recent Inspection Report demonstrates the breath of education we offer both inside and outside of the classroom (this can be found within the About Us section).
How many pupils are in each class / year group?
- Our classrooms typically have a maximum of 20 children. Currently, each class on average has between 15-20 children.
Do you provide nappies or do we bring our own?
• We ask you to provide your own nappies please.
What activities will be on offer?
• We offer a range of indoor and outdoor activities for the children within the Nursery. Information can be found on the parent notice board within The Elms Nursery and Pre-School.
Will I know what has happened to my child during the day?
• Yes, each child will have a Day Book to provide detailed information at the end of each day, from activities they have taken part in to details of nappy changes, naps etc. We use an interactive system called Tapestry which enables parents to see photos, watch videos and keep up to date with their children's progress.
Is the food provided by our own kitchens on site?
• Yes, all of our food is prepared on site. Our Catering Department has received the "Department for Education Healthy School’s Award" and also has a five-star environmental health rating.
When will my child move into the Pre-School room?
• Children move at the beginning of the term in which they are three, in agreement with parents.
When will I meet my son/daughter’s Key Worker and discuss their profile?
• Induction sessions will be arranged prior to commencement date
Will the children go outside?
• Yes, all Elms children go outside as often as possible.